I’d like to generate a bit of robust discussion and speculation about the use of analytics in the real world.
Off the top of my head, I would guess that:
- The number of production grade, profit impacting big data applications worldwide is around 1,000.
- The number of production grade, profit impacting optimization (prescriptive analytics) applications worldwide is around 10,000.
- The number of production grade, profit impacting predictive analytics applications worldwide is around 100,000.
(By “profit impacting” I mean $50K or more per year. This means that startups with a website and a beta do not necessarily count.
- This thought exercise was prompted by the realization that the share of press of each category seems to be significantly different than the number of actual projects.
- The big question: am I full if it? If so, why? Either way, is this meaningful in some way?